Almaty College of Communications was opened as an educational institution in September 1930 on the basis of the decision of the Board of the People's Commissariat of Posts and Telegraphs of the USSR dated July 15, 1930 (Protocol No. 43). The training period was set to be three years. Classes start on October 1, 1930.
The technical school was organized in September 1930 on the basis of the second stage of school number 14. 130 students were recruited. It became known as the Alma-Ata Polytechnic College of Communications. The initial period of the college's activity was very difficult: there was no educational building, laboratory base. There were no dormitories for students. The teaching staff was small. Teachers of general technical disciplines mostly worked part-time. The first teachers: Baymut-Tsubina, Maslennikova, Obraztsov, Tugarin, Tolstoy, Nevsky, Polumiskov, Pavlov, Kopylov, Putkova. To read the special courses of the program, production workers were involved. Classes were held in different places of the city: at school number 14 (20 Yunykh Kommunarov Str.), at 24 Shkolnaya Str., at the Kazakh Communications Department (Vinogradov Str.) and in the basement of a Communications House under construction. They were engaged in the evening, when work at the school and institution ended. Often there was no electricity, they studied with kerosene lamps.
In 1930-32, four two-story barracks were built as dormitories for students and staff. Only in 1973 the last of the barracks was demolished.
In 1931, in July, the construction of the college's academic building was started behind the Head Ditch (now Abai Avenue).
In March 1934, the first recruitment of 25 people for the evening department of the technical school was carried out. The first students are percussionists: Lunin, Skripko, Smakov, Bukaev, Vishnevetsky, Zvorygin, Petrenko, Ivanov, Konkushev, Smirnov, Dubrovin, Konilov, Lesnichenko, Metelsky, Kerzhintsev, Stoyanov. In 1937, classes began in an unfinished building. In 1938, the director of the technical school, Artur Petrovich Skene, took over the management of the construction.
In 1935, the old post office building was transferred to the technical school, laboratories began to function: radio, telephone, telegraph, electric machine and physical office.
In 1940, the construction of the academic building was completed. From the very first days, work was carried out at the technical school to improve the skills of communication managers, and in 1945, the advanced training courses were allocated to an independent institution. During the difficult years of the Great Patriotic War, the college continued to train specialists for the needs of the national economy and the front.
In 1956, the correspondence department was opened.
Over the years, the material base of the college strengthened, the teaching staff grew and improved.
In 1976, the college building was destroyed in a fire, and new difficulties fell on the shoulders of the team. Classes began to be held in 2 shifts in various places: in the building of the Kazhydrosvyaz Institute, ATS-41, school No. 92, etc. Over the years, not only the buildings of the college have changed, but also its status.
In 1980, the laboratory building was put into operation. Since this year, a branch has been working in Karaganda, which trained specialists in the correspondence form of education.
In 1986, the academic building was put into operation.
In 1994, the college received the status of a college.
Since the establishment of the college, 66 full-time and 42 part-time graduates have been produced. In total, over 22 thousand specialists have been trained, who successfully and fruitfully work in the telecommunications system. The college employs 35 teachers, of whom 12 teachers have more than 20 years of teaching experience, 11 teachers have the highest qualification category, they share their rich experience with young and novice teachers.
Since 1998, the college has been a member of the Council of Colleges of Almaty, and since 2001 the council has been renamed the Association of Colleges of Almaty.
Since 1999, the college has been part of the Kazakh-American University. Currently, the college is training in 7 specialties of the VET. The teaching staff pays great attention to the diversification of curricula and programs, the introduction of innovative methods in order to improve the educational process for the transition in market conditions to a continuous (multi-level) education system.
The ultimate goal of the teaching staff is to train competitive specialists who contribute to the development of the country's economy and are confident for their future. The association of the Almaty College of Communications and the Kazakh-American University allowed to open 4 specialties of higher professional education in communications.